Erringden Park was a feature of the Upper Calder Valley landscape that was created in the fourteenth century, certain aspects of which still survive today. This book uncovers the detail about the park that can be retrieved from the surviving documentation and reconstructs the history and use of the park with the help of evidence from both the landscape itself and other northern parks.

The evidence suggests that the original area of the park encompassed an area similar to that occupied by the modern civil parish, an area already used by the Manor of Wakefield for cattle farming. It was expanded eastwards in the 1380s into Cragg Vale. The book discusses how the boundaries of the park were built, the possible infrastructure, how it may have been stocked, the various forms of deer hunting and management and other uses to which the park may have been put. Finally, the way in which the park was abolished in 1451 is discussed, together with the way the land was allocated to tenants and the later disputes over tenancy that were eventually resolved in 1606 after two tenant rebellions.