CHARLESTOWN HOME PAGE
EASTWOOD HOME PAGE
WHERE WE ARE
SITES IN CHARLESTOWN
PEOPLE
EVENTS
MILLS TRANSPORT AND INDUSTRIES
ABOUT THE GROUP
TALK TO US
WALKS AND PATHS
LINKS AND INFO
ARCHIVE
HEBDEN BRIDGE LOCAL HISTORY SOCIETY
Charlestown History Group
Burnt Acres

Links to other Eastwood pages
 

BURNT ACRES

Burnt Acres

1894 map of Burnt Acres

Wood Mill

Wood Mill was an old water-driven corn mill (which existed in 1758). In 1788 it was owned by a William Sutcliffe, who also owned Wood Mill Farm nearby.

Woodmill

An aerial view of Wood Mill

At a later date (possibly 1907) the road was elevated and a new mill with steam power was erected on the higher side of the road. The mill was used for fustian manufacture (the North light weaving sheds can still be seen in the photo below), and later was used as a saw mills.

Woodmill

Wood Mill in 1986

At present (2007) the remains of Wood Mill is empty.

Wood Mill Inn

We are unsure of the exact location of the inn. The Inn dates back to the early 19th century and stood near to the mill. It was kept in the 1820s by a Richard Horsfall. In 1868 the landlord Edward Crossley, fell down the stairs and died. Nothing else is known about the Wood Mill Inn.

What seems to have happened is that it was pulled down and a small terrace was built on the site (could this be the terrace referred to below?). The terrace had a butcher shop and a general store and sweet shop which in the 1940s was run by the Stansfields, followed by Annie Jennings. Annie said "every morning the hearth is alive with cockroaches, but what can you expect as the site of the cottages was an old pub" (presumably the Woodmill Inn).

Burnt Acres Mill

Burnt Acres Bridge and Mill

The mill pictured above between the river and the canal was once an extension of Martin Holt's picker works and later was used for weaving heavy cloth. It has since been demolished and replaced.

There was a second mill which was probably the premises of Mr John Clay, marine store dealer. On 23rd March 1898 a fire occurred at this mill when upwards of £300 damage was done.

On the south side of the bridge there were about 6 cottages (since demolished) and a single dwelling (still in existence).

Holts Mill

The red bricked mill called Perseverance works (also known as Holts mill) was built in about 1895 and operated as picker works. The pickers were made of buffalo hide and the mill was infamous for the foul smell coming from it.

Holts 1986

An aerial view of Holts 1986

The mill was run by John Holt until the 1930s. He was reputed to be a millionaire although he lived locally in a house called Ventnor and his wife insisted on doing her own housework. He owned a Daimler, but as he couldn't drive, he employed a chauffeur, a Mr.Frear who lived in a cottage at woodmill (near Phillips butcher shop).

Holts advert

An advert for the picker works circa 1947

Since the picker works closed, it has been used by a number of industries.

Click here for more information on Holts Mill.

 

This page was last updated April 2009

Back to the Charlestown History Group home page